Saturday, June 21, 2014

This I Believe

1. I believe that one day I will be a great doctor.
2. I believe that there is good in everyone.
3. I believe in God.
4. I believe I can do whatever I want.
5. I believe I can be whatever I want to be.
6. I believe that honesty is the best policy.
7. I believe my mom is awesome.
8. I believe on day I will be a great father and husband.
9. I believe everyone has the ability to do great things.
10. I believe orange is the best color in the world.
11. I believe that music is the best way to escape.
12. I believe everyone can overcome their obstacles.
13. I believe that I will be the best me that I can be no matter what.
14. I believe laughter is a healer of most things.
15. I believe how you dress should be an expression of how you feel.
16. I believe rainy days are the best days to think about what's your sunshine.
17. I believe Grey's Anatomy is a great show.
18. I believe 10 minutes is way longer when you are watching the clock.
19. I believe bacon is the best addition to any meal.
20. I believe heath is important.
21. I believe in myself.
22. I believe in humanity.
23. I believe in self expression.
24. I believe in self actualization.

My belief that everyone has the ability to do great things is really based on my own life. All my life I have had a great support system behind me. From my friends and family, to my mentors I have always been told that I can do and be whatever I put my mind too. All my life I have always been my own worst enemy. When I first got to college I had all intentions on going to medical school and becoming a doctor, When I began my first year I did not do as well as I had hoped and my academic advisor told me that I should just change my major and do something else.

Instead of believing in myself I decided to listen to her. I switched my major and made up all of these excuses for why I wasn't right for medical school. I allowed my dream to be deterred by someone who didn't even know me. After a year of me being down on myself it took an inspirational conversation with a patient at the hospital I work at to give me the boost I needed to realize that I still wanted to become a doctor. I realized that I must do whatever it takes to realize my dream and to prove that lady (my academic advisor) wrong. I decided that no matter what it takes I will do it. I will not only become a doctor, I will become the best doctor I can be.

I know deep inside that all I want to do with my life is help people to feel better through medicine and being a doctor will allow me to do that. I don't know how long it will take me to get there or what I will have to do but I will do whatever it takes to make my dream a reality.

Word Count
Entire post: 549
Free Writing: 315

6 comments:

  1. It is great that you have had such an awesome support system behind you for your entire life. One person's opinion should never change your opinion of yourself. Good luck in your premed courses and in medical school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derell,
    Thank you for sharing your story. I think you are right, I mean I also think that you shouldn't give up and keep trying your best. Of course not everyone can get to their goal, including me too. But, I believe that we can learn from doing their best and without your best work I think we cannot reach our goal. Good luck.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derell,
    Good for you for going after your dreams. I think a lot of people settle for what they want in life because it was either easier to do so or they didn't believe in themselves enough. I think your life will be much for fulfilling when you're pursuing your dreams and doing what you love. Is there a particular area of medicine that interests you?
    Julie Cahill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to you on the major and schooling goals. I did so well in high school and have always wanted to be a historian. I did not have the support system that you have though, and everyone told me to change my major to business or something else that is guaranteed a decent paycheck. I listened to them and hated it. Now I am back to my original goals, but behind in school compared to the rest of my class. That's ok though, because I am doing what I want to do. You are right in saying that you should believe in yourself, that alone is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a hard thing to know that you did wrong because someone took you down that wrong path. To admit it to all of us i a good quality you have. Having a great support group is key to anything and I am happy you have that. Keep your head up in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choosing a career because you were told to is definitely a thing I can relate to. The difference is that the ones making that choice were my math teacher and my mom. My math teacher thought that since I was by far his best student, I should go for mechanical engineering, and he decided to tell that to my mother who was fighting a cancer which would take her life. On her death bed, my mom told me that I had to become an engineer so i can make enough money that I could afford to beat the cancer that was killing her. I finished that degree two years after losing her. I never did anything with it since I hated it. But I did it for her. You cannot break a promise you make to your dying mother.

    ReplyDelete